Debridement is the removal of tissue that makes up a verruca as well as any overlying callus.
What is debridement?
Debridement is a method of treatment that is used in podiatry to help remove verruca's and reduce any associated pain. A podiatrist will use scalpel to take off the top layers of the lesion either as a treatment on its own or prior to other treatments in order to prepare the area.
How does debridement work?
Debriding a verruca can help to treat it in a number of ways. A verruca may be debrided for the following reasons:
- Prior to applying other forms of treatment such as salicylic acid. By reducing any overlying callus the acid based treatment can penetrate the affected tissues more easily and with greater success
- Debriding helps to remove any tissue that has been destroyed by acid treatments allowing further treatment to penetrate deeper into the lesion
- If a verruca is surrounded by callus the increased pressure can cause discomfort and therefore reducing this callus can help to provide relief from painful symptoms
- Debriding the verruca so as to cause pinpoint bleeding which works to stimulate the body's immune response to fight off the virus.
What are the benefits of debridement?
Debriding a verruca has the following benefits as a form of treatment;
- It is a completely painless procedure
- There is no risk of damaging the surrounding healthy tissues
- Is a safer option for more at risk patients such as diabetics
- It can be carried out in clinic
- It does not require the use of local anaesthetic
Similar treatments/Services that could help
There are other verruca treatments available which may be offered depending on the outcome of a patient assessment. These alternative treatments include;
To book an appointment with one of our podiatrists or for a free consultation please contact us on email@example.com or call 0330 088 4222.
Save £5 by booking an appointment online.
We work with:
Get in Touch!
0330 088 4222
If you would like to speak to one of our specialists then please complete this form.
We are open 7 days a week