Acid treatments are corrosive solutions that are applied to the surface of a verruca in an attempt to eradicate them painlessly.
What are acid treatments?
Acid treatments are creams, lotions, gels and specially medicated plasters which contain an acid based ingredient that works to break verrucae. The majority of these treatments contain an acid known as salicylic acid as the active ingredient. The level of acid contained in each form of treatment can vary. Acid based verruca treatments can be bought over the counter and applied at home or by a podiatrist. Due to their corrosive nature it is advised that patients consult with a podiatrist prior to using such treatments.
How do acid treatments work?
When acid treatments such as salicylic acid are applied to a verruca they work to break down and destroy the area of thickened skin which makes up the lesion. Verrucae are viruses which are made up of the protein keratin and as a keratolytic agent salicylic acid is able to break down the protein the makes up the verruca. The acid softens the skin and leads to a mild inflammation which by doing so stimulates the body to fight off the virus.
How are acid treatments applied?
Higher strengths of salicylic acid can be applied by a qualified podiatrist who will begin treatment by carrying out a comprehensive assessment of the patient. A podiatrist will use the following system when applying an acid based treatment to a verruca;
- Any overlying callus will be painlessly debrided using a scalpel
- The area surrounding the verruca will be masked to prevent the acid from damaging any healthy skin
- Once the treatment is applied the patient will be advised to keep the area dry for 1-3 days
- A follow up appointment will be made to allow the area to be debrided further and apply more treatment if required.
What are the benefits of acid treatments?
The following are some of the advantages of using acid treatments for verrucae;
- The procedure of applying acid treatments to verrucae is painless
- It allows for the remission of any long standing verrucae
- Patients can carry out previously restricted activities such as swimming
- The procedure can be carried out in clinic and does not require hospital admission
- Prevents the spread of the virus to others
Similar treatments / services that could help?
Other treatments which may also be used on verrucae include;
For more information about verrucae or acid treatments or to arrange an appointment please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0330 088 4222.
Save £5 by booking an appointment online.
We work with:
Get in Touch!
0330 088 4222
If you would like to speak to one of our specialists then please complete this form.
We are open 7 days a week