Download our Corn Treatment information pack
What is a corn?
A corn is a painful area of thickened skin which often develops over bony prominences or areas of the foot where increased pressures and excessive forces are an issue. A corn is different to callus as the area of hard skin which forms the corn is more concentrated and forms deeper into the skin which in many cases makes it more painful for the patient.
What causes a corn?
The formation of a corn is a natural reaction from the body in response to increased pressures. When an area is put under such too much pressure combined with abnormal forces the body produces an area of thickened skin to protect that area. As this thickened skin continues to accumulate the area often becomes painful. Common causes of corns include;
- Inappropriate footwear
- Bony prominences or foot abnormalities
- Excessive activity such as running or walking
- Biomechanical abnormalities
What are the symptoms of a corn?
A corn can present with the following;
- Pain and inflammation over the affected area
- A small area of thickened skin
- A rough, hardened bump which is tender to touch
- Can be found anywhere over the foot but often located on the sole, between the toes or on the surface of the toes
- Can affect function
How is a corn treated in podiatry?
Treatment of a corn by a podiatrist will begin with a full assessment of the patient to determine the underlying cause. This allows the podiatrist to decide upon the most suitable treatment plan for that patient ensuring the best possible outcome. Any overlying hard skin will then be removed and the corn will be enucleated (cut out) without causing damaged to the surrounding areas of skin. Further treatment will vary from patient to patient and may include;
- Footwear advice and education
- Utilizing different padding techniques to reduce pressures
- Attending subsequent podiatry appointments to prevent the corn building up to a painful level
- Using orthotics and insoles to reduce pressures
Take a look at a previous customer.
The following images are before and after photographs of a customer who has been through treatment.
To book an assessment and treatment with one of our podiatrists please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0330 088 4222.
Save 5% by booking an appointment online.
We work with:
Get in Touch!
0330 088 4222
If you would like to speak to one of our specialists then please complete this form.
We are open 7 days a week