Cryotherapy is the application of liquid nitrogen onto viral infection lesions such as verrucae in order to destroy the area.
What is cryotherapy and what does it involve?
Cryotherapy is a second line verruca treatment which involves applying the refrigerant liquid nitrogen onto the lesion to destroy the affected tissues. The treatment can either be sprayed onto verruca or applied using a cotton bud. The amount of time taken to freeze the area will vary depending on its size and location, with larger lesions requiring more treatment. Once the area has been frozen a small scab will form which will then fall off after around 7-10 days.
How does cryotherapy work?
Cryotherapy works by causing the cells which make up the lesion to rupture thus releasing the antigens which make up the virus into the blood stream. Once the virus is in the blood stream it is recognised by the immune system and an immune response is triggered to fight off the infection.
What are the benefits of cryotherapy?
Cryotherapy can be beneficial in the treatment of verrucae for the following reasons;
- It can be used with success on verrucae when other forms of treatment have failed
- It does not require hospital admission and can be carried out by a podiatrist in clinic
- Successful treatment enables patients to carry out activities such as swimming without the worry that they may spread the virus
- Ensures the virus is not spread to others
- Reduces embarrassment the patient may be experiencing as a result of the verruca
Similar treatments/Services that could help
Cryotherapy is often used a treatment when other forms of treatment have been unsuccessful. Alternative treatments used for verrucae include the following;
For advise on the best verruca treatments for you or to arrange an appointment please email email@example.com or call 0330 088 4222.
Save 5% by booking an appointment online.
We work with:
Get in Touch!
0330 088 4222
If you would like to speak to one of our specialists then please complete this form.
We are open 7 days a week